It is no secret that designer Raf Simons is one of the lead designers in todays fashion culture and has been a mainstay for the better part of two decades. Terrence Allen member of Random Object Gallery, a 26 year old from Richmond, Va recently launched an article/site commemorating Raf Simons paying homage to some of the designers most iconic pieces from various collections that Terrence personally owns along with providing the reader with some insight to Raf’s history.
With comments like,
“It is Fascinating to see older Raf shows. All Raf are different and bring different ideas and concepts”
“I see Raf Simons as a clothing brand that is what it is. But Raf shows in his work the connection between art and fashion”
It is obviously no doubting that Terrence is sharp on his Raf history all photos were shot by Chris Shitty check out the entire write up here.
Parrish Majestic based out of Virginia Beach, Virginia breaks down his patterns and styles when creating his paintings on Episode 13. Giving us insight to his painting in the Norfolk Art District Parrish explains that the painting means much more than what initially meets the eye.
As most know 4/20 is considered national “marijuana day”. No group represents that better than Team Green, Led by standout rapper Bobby Blaze Team Green held their first annual “Green Day” at Pacers in Norfolk, VA. The event featured live art from ASA Jackson, Music from DJ Sweendawg & DJ TysonKots, Food courtesy of Cutta Kitchen, Performances from all of Team Green and appearances from notable artist in the area such as Young Crazy, Billy Mercury, The Traptastic Collective, Vonsensei, Andre Palace, Mackderico and plenty more. The event was held from 4pm-8pm, The last hour seeing Team Green surprise everyone announcing and unveiling the cover art of their upcoming group project. Earl Mack is to credit with the cover art that sees Team Green riding in an old school car across a bridge with the Hampton Coliseum in the background paying homage Hampton, VA. Check out photos from the event below courtesy of Shamon Jones.
Tay Gutta, Mackderico, Rod Baby
Bobby Blaze x Treez Lowkey
Treez Lowkey, 90s Pimp, Bobby Blaze
Here in Episode 4 of our Black&White: Behind The Art series we catch up with Ricky Dreamer. Ricky is seen in this episode verbally displaying how his prior history individually correlates directly to his podcast DUI Rule based in Richmond,Virginia. Check Episode 4 out below.
Bonne Nuit translated ‘Good Night’ in English is a 2minute short film courtesy of the VASM Collective based in Virginia. The film sees lead actress Marychris Mistica traveling through a colonial neighborhood smoking a cigarette wearing a long leopard print coat as the classical music plays the scenery transitions to Marychris starting to seemingly fall into deep thought and eventually finding herself in a isolated room screaming, sitting in a corner and staring blankly at the camera. Soon thereafter the music comes to an abrupt pause and the camera finds Marychris once again back in the colonial neighborhood with a more calmed look on her face smoking a cigarette. Check the Bonne Nuit visual out below now.
BONNE NUIT (c) 2017
Starring: Marychris Mistica
Directed by: VASM
Director of Photography: Nykoi Potts
Camera Operator: Nykoi Potts
Edited by: VASM
Color / Post by: VASM
Richmond, Virginia creatives Earl Mack & Shareef Mosby recently collaborated on a pop up shop located at SoulEil in Richmond, Virginia where they launched the “Take Aim Capsule Collection”. The pop up had a great number of guest come out and experience the numerous items that were on display primarily in the color pink such as shirts, shoes, wooden AK-47’s, Pink Scooters, Pink Bolt Cutters and much more as seen in the short video clip. Be sure to also check out some photos from the collaborative effort below and also make sure you shop their merch here.
photos courtesy of Earl Mack & Lowe Maceo
Recently here at ThePerfectPlay we had a chance to catch up with a rather unique artist that goes by the name of RONG. Utilizing a unique wire that we are reluctant to share or comment on RONG creates figures that are one of a kind and truly something that you will not see on a regular day to day basis. Check out our interview with him below as he explains his process of work, being featured on Hypebeast and much more.
follow RONG on instagram now: @_rong_
Norfolk based creative group Random Object Gallery recently launched their official website along with releasing their first project today. ROG unveiled a minute long visual at a skate park shot in black & white which featured skaters of all races and ages skateboarding at a park doing various tricks however the visual focuses more so on the numerous emotions of the skaters. The description of the video reads “Skating and Life something we can relate to” , With that being stated we can only be on the lookout for what they have coming next. View the minute long clip below and head over to check out their site here.
x YGA</a> from <a href=”https://vimeo.com/randomobjectgallery”>Random
Object Gallery</a> on <a href=”https://vimeo.com”>Vimeo</a>
This past weekend December 3rd & 4th photographer 3rdconcept held his very first photo exhibit at local norfolk clothing boutique Pacers where he showed off his pictures from numerous concerts along with his favorite lifestlye shots. The exhibit featured photos of Gucci Mane, D.R.A.M, Dom Kennedy, Va$htie, Kehlani and many more. Check out some photos of the event below and also watch as 3rdconcept explains all of his photos.
photo credit: 3rdconcept & Derek Locust
We have all been patiently waiting for the A$AP Mob collective project ‘Cozy Tapes Vol.1‘ for quite some time now. We are going to provide you with some information about why we feel Cozy Tapes is closer to being released than most think.
- Creative Director Rocky – A$AP Rocky was recently appointed Creative Director of MTV’s new series “MTV Labs” which would be the perfect platform to release a group project on. Seeing the buzz received after MTV announced Rocky as creative director a few weeks ago on air accompanied by Rocky premiering a new song with KEY! titled ‘Crazy Brazy’ along side the A$AP Mob.
- AWGE – A$AP Mob has definitely had a major impact on music since first coming out some years ago but maybe never more than now with a new “soundcloud rapper” wave that seems to be flourishing and social media booming more than ever. Everyone seems to be hanging out with A$AP Mob as they are influencing both art, fashion, music all at the same time which guarantees those characteristics will be a focal point on Cozy Tapes.
- Playboi Carti – Although the A$AP Mob has Rocky, Ferg,Nast, Ant, and Twelvy all as rappers apart of the group. The youngster Playboi Carti seems to be a diamond in the rough as he has begun to blow up more on soundcloud than any other rapper yet to release a sole project over the past year or so. Releasing numerous tracks such as Fetti, What, Broke Boi, Performing at some of the most notable festivals and even gracing the Vfiles runway for a performance at New York fashion week. One thing that is forsure, Playboi Carti will have a huge imprint on Cozy Tapes with features and possibly even solo efforts.
- VLONE – The sudden take off of ASAP Bari’s VLONE line has been something surreal. Back in the spring Bari held a pop up shop in Los Angeles that saw the who’s who in the streetwear culture show up to a pop up shop with art unlike anyone had seen before all the while incorporating a half pipe with live skating going on. As if that wasn’t enough Bari has built very close relationships with Off Whites Virgil Abloh and Kanye West… yeah… Kanye West, I’m sure you all heard the line “I met Kanye West, I’m never going to fail” well that seems to be the case with Bari also I mean the guy can do no wrong right now. When A$AP Mob released the lead single/video from Cozy Tapes ‘Yamborghini High’ the whole Mob was laced head to toe in VLONE which leads us to believe that their will definitely be some type of VLONE connection with the release of Cozy Tapes also.
- Tweets – A$AP Rocky tweeted yesterday that the project has finally been completed and A$AP Nast tweeted earlier today that Cozy Tapes was loading so therefore the project has to be releasing any moment soon.